Animal costumes are a popular choice among children for fancy dress parties and at Halloween. Whether you buy a mouse costume in a shop or make it at home, tail construction will come into play. With basic sewing skills and some common arts and craft supplies, practically anyone can make a tail for a mouse costume.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Grey or pink felt
- Sewing machine
- Craft wire
- Safety pins
Cut out two ovals of felt that are each 7.5 cm (3 inches) wide and 66 cm (26 inches) long. Lay them directly on top of each other.
Sew the felt pieces together all the way around, leaving one of the shorter ends open. Turn the tail right-side out.
Stuff the tail with batting until it is completely full.
Cut a piece of craft wire that is 56 cm (22 inches) long. Curve it at the ends and insert it into the tail through the batting.
Sew the opening in the tail closed. Curve the tail upwards slightly and safety pin it onto the back of the mouse costume.
Tips and warnings
- Any other neutral felt colour can be used rather than grey.
- For a more permanent solution, attach the tail to the costume with hot glue instead of safety pins.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for