Many dog owners panic when their dogs ingests mushrooms. Not all mushrooms are harmful to dogs, but it’s hard to know which mushrooms are toxic. Your dog may experience symptoms only a few minutes after consumption. If you suspect your canine has ingested mushrooms, medical care is required immediately so treatment can be start.
- Skill level:
Evaluate your dog’s symptoms. If you don’t witness your dog ingesting mushrooms, you may only notice symptoms. Your dog may have vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and experience abnormal drooling. Take note of the symptoms and make a call to your vet.
Ask if you should induce vomiting. Time is so important when dealing with mushroom poisoning. The sooner you can get the toxin out of your dog the better. Call your medical provider and get advise on the problem. Ask if you should induce vomiting before bringing your canine to the animal hospital. Typically this is done with hydrogen peroxide, but your vet should always advise of the proper dosage.
Hospitalise your dog for further treatment. Unfortunately there isn’t any home care for treating mushroom poisoning in dogs. You’ll need to rush your canine to the emergency animal hospital where it can receive treatment.
Make sure to keep your canine calm. Dogs are intuitive and they pick up on your emotions. If you’re worried or stressed, your dogs will be also. For this reason keep calm and speak to your dog softly. Play soft calming music on the way to the vet to create a soothing environment.
Once your dog arrives at the animal hospital, ask about activated charcoal treatment. This aids in absorbing the poison from your dog’s stomach. Your dog should also be put on intravenous fluids. Blood work should be monitored to ensure your dog’s kidneys and liver aren’t in danger.
Tips and warnings
- Monitor your dog closely when he comes home from the hospital. If he starts to vomit or suffers from diarrhoea, call your vet for a follow up.
- Monitor your landscaping for mushrooms. Keeping a close eye on this will assist in preventing any future incidents of mushroom poisoning in your canine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for