Many countries around the world, like Jamaica, have become more and more protective of their jobs. The citizens of the country have the first rights to almost all open positions. After the company makes a solid search to fill the position with a local citizen, it may look outside of the country for help. Most of the jobs in foreign countries, including Jamaica, are for very specific positions requiring high levels of certification or education.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Temporary work permit forms
- Work visa
- Letter from hiring company
- Work permit approval letter
- Visa application form
- Passport-sized color picture
Fine-tune your resume to include all of your most recent experience. Highlight various parts of your employment record that will fit into the job you would like to have in Jamaica. The competition for jobs in Jamaica is fierce, so you need to be able to show how you are a perfect fit for the job needed.
Post an advertisement in one or more of the Jamaican newspapers, like the "Jamaica Observer" or the "Jamaica Gleaner" (see Resources below). Occasionally, jobs are posted in the Jamaican newspapers, but the jobs posted usually don't have very large salaries.
Fill out the forms for a temporary work permit in Kingston, Jamaica before you start working. You have to go to the Immigration Office at 25 Constant Spring Road to get the appropriate form. You need to bring your passport and return flight tickets with you, even if the return flight is open-ended.
Apply for a work visa in Jamaica when you have received a valid job offer for a permanent position. You need a valid national passport, an original letter from the hiring company, an original work permit approval signed by or on behalf of the Jamaican Minister of Labor, a completed visa application form and one passport-sized color picture.
Tips and warnings
- To travel to other countries, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after your leave your homeland.
- Your passport cannot expire while you are in Jamaica on a work permit or the permit automatically ends. Be sure to update your passport if it expires within a year from the date you go to Jamaica.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for