Turning your baby or little one into a caterpillar for Halloween or children's party is easy to do. The long line of a caterpillar costume won't interfere with the baby's walking. Plus, you can create a family theme for a costume party. Mom can dress as a butterfly, while the baby is dressed as a caterpillar. You don't even need sewing skills to dress your little one.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 6 Felt squares, 12-by-12-inch squares of various colours
- 6 styrofoam balls 2-inch
- Hot glue gun
- Ribbon, 2 yards
- Dark green felt rectangle, 12-by-24 inches
- Light green baby sleeper
- Matching light green hat
- Dark green chenille pipe cleaner
Wrap each styrofoam ball in a square of coloured felt. Hot glue the felt to the balls to secure. Trim any excess felt from the balls.
Cut 12-inch lengths of ribbon. Each length of ribbon stretches between the spine of the costume to the belly. They create the illusion of segments in your caterpillar costume. You have enough ribbon to create three segments on both the left and right side of the sleeper.
Glue one end of the 12-inch length of ribbon to the center back of the sleeper. Pull the other end of the ribbon forward and hot glue the end on the front of the sleeper. The ribbon doesn't need to reach the centre front of the sleeper, since the next step covers a major portion of the belly. Glue a matching strip of ribbon on the other side of the sleeper body.
Cut a large oval out of the 12-by-24-inch green felt. Hot glue the felt oval to the front of the sleeper, covering the ends of the ribbon. Cut the centre of the felt if necessary to give access to the zipper. Turn the sleeper over.
Hot glue the felt covered balls along the back of the sleeper, covering the ends of the ribbon.
Bend the chenille pipe cleaner into a "U" shape and hot glue the bottom of the "U" to the top of the green hat.
Tips and warnings
- Use a bunting instead of a sleeper to give your little caterpillar a solid body.
- Never glue anything small to a baby's costume. This can create a choking hazard.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for