Mattresses are designed to lay flat with nothing on them when they are not being used. Ideally, you want to store your mattress exactly that way. If you do have to put something on top, make sure that it isn't too heavy, and that the weight is distributed evenly. Most importantly, keep your mattress clean and dry.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mattress storage bag
- Mattress moving bag
Put the mattress inside a storage bag, such as the one linked in the Additional Resources section. Make sure that the storage bag is sealed at both ends and has no holes in it. For extra protection, you can cover the mattress in a thin plastic moving bag with a thicker storage bag on top.
Store your mattress in a dry, clean environment. When mattresses get damp, they can grow mold easily, so you have to make sure that no water will get in it. You may want to put your mattress up on a table to minimize the risk of flood damage or condensation.
Store your mattress flat. You want it to be on a flat surface big enough to hold it. Even small bends in the surface can lead to a warped mattress over time.
Put as little weight as possible on top of the mattress. Ideally, you don't want to leave anything on top of it for more than a day or two. Even a box or two can compress a mattress over time, leaving it permanently lumpy.
Distribute any weight evenly. If you are going to be storing anything on top of the mattress for more than a day, you want to make sure that it is even so it doesn't make the mattress lumpy. Spread out whatever you are storing on top of the mattress so that it covers the whole surface.
Tips and warnings
- A mattress bag provides some protection, but dirt and water can still get in. Be sure to always keep your storage room as clean and dry as possible.
- Never store your mattress on end. Mattresses aren't designed to support themselves in that position. Leaving a mattress like this for any length of time can warp it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for