How do I set up gnucash for online banking?
online image by dinostock from Fotolia.com
GNU is a free Unix-compatible operating system. This software is available at no charge. One of the software packages included in GNU is online banking. Although online banking is not automatically loaded with GNU during set-up, it can be implemented afterward.
Launch GNU, then choose "Applications" followed by "Office." Select "GNUCash," which is located in the upper menu field. The Accounts box will launch.
- GNU is a free Unix-compatible operating system.
- Although online banking is not automatically loaded with GNU during set-up, it can be implemented afterward.
Choose "Tools," then select "Online Banking Setup."
Choose "Banking Wizard." The configuration window will launch. Additionally, this window will advise the various options of actions that can be done.
Key in your account and user information in the appropriate fields. If you do not know what to use, choose "OFX-Direct Backend." You will need to contact your financial institution if you do not know its server URL. If your choice was "OFX-Direct backend," it is highly probably the link is https://ofx.yourfinancialinstitution.com/.
- Choose "Tools," then select "Online Banking Setup."
- If you do not know what to use, choose "OFX-Direct Backend."
Navigate back to the "Start Online Banking Wizard." Afterward, select "Forward."
Click the matching boxes in the "New?" section to mirror the bank accounts with the GNUCash accounts. Afterward, select "Forward."
Select "Apply." The set-up process is now complete.
- Navigate back to the "Start Online Banking Wizard."
- Afterward, select "Forward."
- To migrate your financial institution's transactions, choose "Accounts or Register," then select in the following order: "Actions," "Online Actions," "Get Transactions" or "Get Balance."
Emily Fisher is an alumna of North Carolina State University with an academic background in civil engineering. She has professional experience as a telecommunications manager and numerous positions in the hospitality industry. Her writing interests include business, finance, economics, health and beauty and she is a consistent contributor to various websites.