If you are an avid reader of blogs on LiveJournal (a social networking and blogging website), you may be dismayed to notice a writer designating his posts as "friends only." When blog posts are restricted, only those placed on the user's "friends" lists have access to them. The way to gain access to restricted posts on LiveJournal is by befriending the writers.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Internet access
- Valid e-mail address
Visit the LiveJournal blogging website and select the "Creating an Account" link.
Decide on a user name, which will be your official name for the site. Think creatively, as many of the names already are taken. Provide your e-mail address, gender, date of birth and password for access. Click the "Create Account" button.
Validate your e-mail address. Log on to your e-mail and look for a message from LiveJournal. Follow the instructions within the email and verify your account by clicking on the link. Once you click the link, the verification process is done.
Personalise your user profile. Fill out casual details about yourself, from your general whereabouts to your favourite hobbies, movies and novels. If you have the time, write a short summary about yourself. Consider adding pictures to your profile to give it more character and identity.
Visit the LiveJournal page with the "friends only" posts. Start a friendship with the blogger. Begin by adding the blogger to your friends list. Click the "Add Them as a Friend" button on the upper corner of the page. When you add someone as a friend, the chances are high that the person will friend you back to return the favour.
Send a direct message. To get the friendship moving faster, send a friendly "Hello" message to the blogger. Click on the "Send a Message" link to do this. Introduce yourself and say that you are a regular reader of the blog and would like to gain access to the restricted "friends only" blogs if possible. Keep the tone of your e-mail polite and friendly, as the point of LiveJournal is to network with other people.
Check your user profile page. After giving the blogger some time to respond, check your list of everyone who has added you as a friend. If the person has added you, you will notice his user name on your list. At this point, you will have full access to his restricted posts.
Tips and warnings
- Post regular blog items of your own. Your account may seem suspicious if you are inactive. To make friends and read "friends only" posts, be prolific with your blog posts.
- Be patient. If someone does not want to add you as a friend, there is not much you can do about it. You can gain access to restricted posts only if you are granted special permission. The point of "friends only" posts is to offer LiveJournal users a measure of privacy.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for