How to Pull Your Child Out of School Due to Bullying

Written by katya gordeeva | 13/05/2017
How to Pull Your Child Out of School Due to Bullying
Pull your child out of school if he continues to be bullied. (Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images)

Approximately 160,000 children skip school every day to avoid being bullied, according to Bobbi DePorter of the non-profit organisation Learning Forum International. As a parent, it is important to recognise the warning signs of bullying. If your child acts nervous, has trouble sleeping or avoids the bus, he may have problems with a bully. If school officials are unable to stop bullying, parents should consider taking their child out of school.

Research schools you want your child to transfer to. Contact the school to ask if it is accepting transfer students at this time.

Set up a meeting with the new school principal to discuss your child and any concerns you have. Take a tour around the school. Ask about the fees and enrolment requirements for the new school.

Fill out the appropriate transfer and enrolment forms required by the new school. Most schools will require a copy of your child's immunisation record. Proof of residency and guardianship may be required, as well.

Return enrolment forms and other documents to the new school. Wait to find out if your child's transfer was approved, and discuss when your child can begin attending school if the transfer is during midyear.

Withdraw your child from school. Write a formal letter that states you are removing your child from his school. Give the letter to the superintendent's office in person or send it by mail. No matter which method you choose, ask for a receipt.

Consider homeschooling your child if a new school does not work out. Hire a teacher to come to your home or teach your child yourself. If you teach her yourself, develop a daily routine and create goals for you and your child. Before you decide to home school her, check the state laws about homeschooling available in Resource 1.

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.