Breaking up is rarely a pleasant experience. It can be especially painful when you still love the person you're breaking up with, even though you may not be right for each other. While letting go might not be easy, it's the healthy thing to do and really is the fastest way to heal.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Get rid of things that will remind you of your ex-boyfriend, such as photographs, gifts or notes. Even if you can't bring yourself to discard, put them away somewhere where you won't see them every day.
Remind yourself why the relationship ended. While it's important to appreciate the good times you had together and why you love your ex-boyfriend, focusing on only those things will cloud your judgment and make you feel like you made a mistake by ending the relationship.
Keep yourself occupied. Now that you're single, you have a lot more time to yourself. Start up an old hobby or find a new one. Spend more time with your friends and try to meet new people. Keep yourself busy so you don't have as much downtime to think about your ex-boyfriend.
Move on with your life. There's nothing wrong with taking a day or two to cry and be sad, but don't drag it out. The more time you spend thinking about what went wrong and how things could have been, the longer it will take you to get over your ex-boyfriend.
Work on improving yourself. Break any habits that you've been meaning to get rid of and start being the best version of yourself that you can. Open yourself up to the life and relationships that will really make you happy.
Tips and warnings
- Stay single for awhile -- jumping into a new relationship when you're still in love with your ex-boyfriend is likely to cause more hurt in the long run both for you and your new partner.
- You can love someone without being in love with them. You can always care for your ex-boyfriend and want him to be happy.
- Don't try to be friends with your ex-boyfriend right away. While you might be able to be friends again in the future, it's best to have as little interaction as possible while you're trying to move on from the break-up.
- If your ex boyfriend starts dating somebody else, don't compare yourself to her.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for