The SWAT, or Special Weapons and Tactics, team is among the most elite forces in law enforcement, specially trained to deal with dangerous situations. If you're looking for a unique Halloween costume, a SWAT uniform is a fresh alternative to the traditional police officer uniform. You can make a SWAT uniform using items in your wardrobe and supplies from a craft store.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Black cargo trousers
- Long-sleeved black shirt
- Black baseball cap
- Black vest
- Black boots
- Small upper case letter stencil
- Large upper case letter stencil
- White felt
- Fabric glue
- One-inch-thick flexible foam sheets
Place a small upper case letter stencil over white felt and trace the letters "S," "W," "A," and "T" with a pencil. Cut the letters out carefully. Repeat this process with a larger stencil.
Glue the small letters to the front of a black baseball cap with fabric glue to spell "SWAT." Glue the large letters to the back centre of a black vest.
Measure the front flaps of the vest and mark out these measurements on flexible foam sheets. Cut out two pieces of foam that match the measurements. Open the vest and lay the foam along the inside of each flap. Trim as necessary to match the shape of the vest and ensure it will still close.
Glue the two pieces of foam to the inside of the vest. Allow the glue to dry.
Take a pair of black cargo trousers and measure the size of the side pockets. Cut out foam pieces to fit into the pockets. Slide the foam into each pocket.
Put on your black cargo trousers and a black long-sleeved shirt. Wear the vest over your shirt and put on your baseball cap. Top off your SWAT uniform with a pair of black lace-up boots.
Tips and warnings
- Black knee and elbow pads will add an armoured look to your uniform.
- Add police accessories such as sunglasses, a walkie talkie and toy gun.
- You can draw the letters freehand instead of using stencils if you prefer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for