The Acer Aspire One ZG5 laptop computer was designed to provide the user with the minimum operating system components necessary to browse the web and use social networking websites and word processing while travelling. This laptop was designed to run using a specialised low-memory and low-processor consumption version of Linux called "Linpus." Linpus is suitable for this machine, as the laptop has only 512 megabytes of memory space and an 8 gigabyte solid-state internal storage drive.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Computer with Internet access, CD writing drive and CD writer software installed (burning software must be able to create CD from a .ISO file)
Download the latest version of Linpus from the official website at http://www.linpus.com/downloads.html When at the website, scroll down until you are able to see the three tabs labelled "Download", "Windows Installer" and "Documentation." Click on the "Dowload" tab to make it active. Enter your current e-mail address in the block provided and then click the link "Get Link." Click on the download link that appears and save the file to the computer desktop.
Place a blank CD into the CD writer drive, then start your CD writing software which is capable of creating a CD from a .ISO file. Modern burning applications able to extract .ISO files include, but are not limited to: CDBurnerXP, Nero ROM, Roxio, and ImgBurn. Familiarise yourself with the software so that you are able to locate the necessary settings to tell the software to create a CD from an .ISO file. The software will require you to tell it which .ISO file you desire to create a CD from. Point the software to the Linpus .ISO file previously saved to your desktop then proceed to burn the CD.
Click on the "Documentation" tab of the Linpus website and click on the Quick Start and Installation link for the download version, not the Windows installer version. To open and print out the guide, you must have the free Adobe PDF Reader installed on your computer (see Resource 1). Print a copy of the guide to follow along as you are installing Linpus onto the Acer Aspire One ZG5 laptop.
Remove the newly created Linpus CD from the computer used to download it. Insert the CD into the CD drive of the Acer Aspire One Z5G laptop and then power up the laptop. Wait for the installation screen to appear, then follow all of the instructions on the Quick Start & Installation Guide.
Remove the CD from the laptop when told to do so near the end of the installation process. Once removed, restart the laptop so the newly installed Linux system is able to boot up and complete its self-configuration.
Tips and warnings
- Keep the Linpus CD stored in a safe location for future use should the operating system have to be reinstalled.
- The CD writing software must have a "Create CD From .ISO File" setting that can be selected. Such a setting extracts the information from the .ISO file and uses that information to create a bootable CD. Simply putting the raw .ISO file on a CD won't work for installing Linpus onto the Acer Aspire One ZG5 laptop. Location of this setting is highly dependent on the brand of writing software you have chosen to use for this process.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for