Some colleges, universities and graduate programs require that an applicant submit a formal acceptance of admission. University programs sometimes have limited positions available for students, so your acceptance letter will secure your place. The acceptance letter for school admission is an important element of your college application, which will also become part of your school record. Make your acceptance letter for school clear, concise and polite.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Address your letter to the specific college department, graduate program or individual who signed your college acceptance letter. Identify yourself in the first paragraph of your letter. State that you are writing in response to the offer of admission to the school or program.
Express your gratitude to the college admissions department or the graduate department that accepted you. If you know their names, extend thanks to the individuals who made the decision to accept your application for enrolment.
State that you are accepting admission to the specific college or graduate program you plan to attend. Offer brief thanks to the people who wrote letters of recommendation and supported your application for enrolment.
Conclude your letter of acceptance for school by repeating your thanks. State that you are looking forward to attending the college or graduate program. Close with "Sincerely," and sign the letter above your typed name.
Tips and warnings
- Activate the spelling/grammar check on your word processor to ensure you do not send a letter with misspelled words or grammatical errors.
- Make a copy of your acceptance letter for your own records.
- Print your letter on quality stationery.
- Proofread your letter before mailing.
- Do not use slang, colloquialisms or unnecessary contractions. Write in a clear, professional tone.
- Do not hand write your letter of acceptance. Use a word processor and a printer.
- Avoid using stationery with large borders, bright colours or intricate designs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for