Fitted hats come in a diverse range of types, colours and designs. Some baseball caps are fitted, but so are bowler hats and cowboy hats. Through basic wear and tear or improper storage, your fitted hat may become damaged. Fitted hats made of straw, such as a Panama hat, need to be professionally repaired. Also, any large tears in the fabric or seams of the hat need to be addressed by a professional tailor or hat repair shop. If your fitted hat is misshapen, however, you can fix it yourself with a few common household items.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Spray bottle
- Large rubber band
Set your fitted cowboy hat on a table. Take your hairdryer and turn it on high heat at full blast. Please keep in mind that you should only apply heat to your felt hats. Do not use this technique on your fitted baseball cap or a straw cowboy hat. If you need to fix your fitted baseball cap, go to step 3. Shape the hat with your fingers as you apply the heat from your hair dryer. The heat loosens the form inside your cowboy hat and you should be able to mould it back in place with your fingers. If your cowboy hat has not regained its shape, you need to add more heat.
Place your cowboy hat in your oven. Set your oven temperature to 82.2 degrees Celsius (180 degrees Fahrenheit). Let your hat sit in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the hat from the oven and gently shape the brim and crown back into its original shape with your fingers. If it is still not forming to your shape, set it in the oven for an additional five minutes and reshape it using your fingers. Your fitted cowboy hat should now be fixed and back to its original shape.
Position your fitted baseball cap or bowler over your melon. A cantaloupe or honeydew works well for this. Fill your spray bottle with water, and spray the entire surface of your baseball cap with water. You want the cap to be damp, but not soaking wet. Take your large rubber band and place it around the circumference of the hat with the melon inside. This prevents your hat from sliding off the melon. Let your fitted hat sit on the melon for eight hours. Reapply the water every one to two hours. After the eight hours, take off the rubber band and remove your hat from the melon. It should be fixed into its original shape.
Tips and warnings
- If you don't want to use a melon to get the shape back in your fitted baseball hat, you can use your own head instead. Place the baseball cap on your head for a day and spritz it with water every one to two hours. Hang out in the sun. The heat and water shrinks your baseball cap back into form.
- Be careful putting your fitted cowboy hat in the oven. Keep an eye on it at all times and do not keep it in the oven for more than 10 minutes at a time. You do not want to burn your hat or start a fire.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for