Help create an atmosphere of love and romance with a candlelit evening dinner. With the help of a few materials around the house you can increase the romantic tone of the evening. Surprise your loved one with some simple decorations to turn an ordinary dinner into a special one.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dinnerware for two
- Glassware for two
- Silverware for two
- Glass or silver candlesticks
- CD player
- Romantic CDs
Pull out some cloth. Put a linen table cloth on the dining table to dress up the occasion. Get some matching or coordinating napkins. A white tablecloth is classic; a red one can spice up the decor.
Break out the china. Stuff the paper plates and take out boxes in the cupboard and lay out a set of nice dinnerware. Use matching plates with a separate plate or bowl for salad. Place water and wine glasses at each place setting. Add salad forks and butter knives to the usual dinner knife-and-fork setting. The formal setting will contribute to romantic feel.
Set the mood with lights. Dim the overhead lights or turn them off completely. Set out candlesticks with long tapered candles in them. Use a set made out of silver, crystal or glass or something reflective. Strategically place additional candles around the room to add more light.
Add some flowers. Pick up a simple bouquet from a grocery store or local market and arrange in a vase. Place as a centrepiece between the candlesticks. Choose roses or a favourite romantic flower. Avoid blooms in loud, garish colours. Have an empty spot in the room or table available to move the arrangement before you sit down for dinner to make conversation and eye contact easier.
Create some ambience with music. Bust out a CD player or stereo system and put on some soothing tunes. Let Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Nat King Cole belt out some soft and romantic love songs. Keep the music low enough to talk with your partner during the meal.
Drape fabric around the room. Add an extra layer of elegance by draping fabric to cover utilitarian or unromantic items. Use soft or shiny fabrics like satin or velvet.
Tips and warnings
- Use flower petals on the table instead of a flower arrangement for a diversion from the classic flower arrangement.
- Use candle holders for all candles and make sure flames do not come close to flammable items. Place glass dishes under candles that drip to avoid harming furniture.
- Avoid using more than two different scented candles. Too many scents combined with the smells of dinner can wreak havoc on the senses and ruin the mood.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for