Desserts that go with a lamb dinner
Lamb is an elegant dish that can be prepared in a variety of ways for a special main dish of a dinner menu. Roasting, searing and baking and stewing are all methods of preparing a lamb dish.
Whether cooking lamb chops, leg of lamb or lamb shank, tender lamb meat is best paired with red wine and fruit desserts that complement the rich, grassy flavour of the lamb.
Desserts made with fresh fruit and berries are complementary dishes to lamb dinners. Due to the tart and zesty flavour of lemons, they work well with the earthiness of the lamb. An example of a fruit dessert that pairs well with lamb is a lemon and berry tart, which is a pastry made with eggs, sugar, cream and lemons. Berries, such as blueberries and raspberries, are mixed with sugar, vinegar and mint leaves for the filling. Any fruit tart pairs with lamb; the fruits used can be adapted to what is seasonal.
- Desserts made with fresh fruit and berries are complementary dishes to lamb dinners.
- Berries, such as blueberries and raspberries, are mixed with sugar, vinegar and mint leaves for the filling.
If serving lamb during the spring or summer, a cold dessert is appropriate. Fruit is still a suitable main ingredient. For instance, a frozen berry pie makes a simple, yet elegant dessert. Frozen pies can be made with graham cracker crust, a fruit filling and topped with whipped cream. They just need to freeze for a few hours before serving. Filling can be made from any type of fresh berries mixed with corn syrup, sugar and some lemon juice, if desired.
- If serving lamb during the spring or summer, a cold dessert is appropriate.
Light tea cakes also make suitable desserts to follow a main course of lamb. White cakes that have a light texture work well after a rich lamb entrée. Mixing fruit into the cake is a welcome addition for a dessert course on a lamb menu. For instance, a cake made with pears, vanilla and cream gives richness without being too overwhelming. Apples could be used as well, especially if the lamb is being served in the autumn or winter months.
- Light tea cakes also make suitable desserts to follow a main course of lamb.
For a casual dessert that suits a lamb menu, opt for bars made with fruit. The lightness of the fruit won't weigh diners down after the lamb meal. Lemon bars are a fitting option; they are easy to make and very light. If you want to add a bit of richness, add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream as a topping or a side to the bars. Substitute berries for the lemons, if preferred, making raspberry or blueberry bars instead.
- For a casual dessert that suits a lamb menu, opt for bars made with fruit.
- Good Food; Rack of Lamb with Warm Salad of Mixed Beans & Slow Roasted Tomatoes; Gordon Ramsay; August 2010
- Good Food; Lemon Tart with Summer Berries; Gordon Ramsay; July 2008
- Bon Appetite: Lamb Menu for Six
- Epicurious; Strawberry Icebox Pie with Almond Crust; April 2003
- Food & Wine: Sunday Lamb Dinner
Jeris Swanhorst is a writer and English and literature instructor at the college level, and owner of SwanJay, a knitting and crochet business. She earned a master's degree in English from Minnesota State University in 2007.