Greece is most famous and most visited for its ancient past. Greece's past includes the invention of democracy, philosophy and countless advancements in the sciences and arts, all of which served to form the basis of Western civilisation as it stands today. Ancient ruins are spread throughout Greece, and in the former Greek possessions of Italy, northern Africa and the Middle East. Tours can be arranged to see any site or region, but several trips will be required to see them all.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Internet access
- Credit or debit card
- Map of Greece
Visit a few of the reputable ancient Greece tour providers online such as Voyagetrek.com. These companies offer an array of tour and vacation options in the capital city of Athens, on the mainland and throughout the islands of Greece.
Select the tour that best suits your interests, time frame, preferred activity level and budget. While some luxury tours may be expensive, they may also provide fast track entrance to historic sites and museums, gourmet dining options and luxury hotels. Likewise, low cost budget options may provide all the basics you need while keeping the trip you desire within reach.
Try to book your flight with your tour company as many will work with you to find the best rates. If this is not possible, check the flights before booking and reserve your tour during the most favourable period for air rates. The tour price will likely not change from week to week, but the flights most certainly will.
Research the sites and destinations within Greece where you wish to travel. With the great multitude of ancient sites still in existence, you will have to select those that interest you most and those that are near one another in order to make the trip logistics practical and possible.
Plot your course finding the necessary transportation to and from Greece, as well as from one site to the next. Keep in mind much of Greece and its sites are on islands in the Aegean, so ferries and other types of water transportation will likely factor into your trip. These ferries are mostly bookable online at Greek-islands-ferries.gr.
Book your hotels allowing for enough time in each location. Expert guides can often be found at ancient sites and are available for hire, or can be booked in advance before arrival online at Partner.viator.com.
Tips and warnings
- The ancient sites of Greece are widespread across the mainland and the many islands of the Mediterranean.
- Many first-time travellers to Greece will select one city for a long stay and explore the ancient sites and museums within and around that city, saving other sites and destinations for a later trip. This is a good way to get a taste of ancient Greece without rushing through it all.
- Greek public transportation and taxis are notoriously unreliable, especially during the summer months. Plan for delays or at least have a backup plan to deal with them if and when they do happen.
- Greece in the summer months (July and August) can be unbearably hot and dry. You will dehydrate quickly, so bring a large water supply when exploring.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for