If you're a fan of Star Wars parodies and the comedy of Mel Brooks, then no doubt you are familiar with the 1987 film "Spaceballs." The minions of the evil but fumbling planet Spaceball had a variety of costumes, and some are easier to construct then others. Luckily, the creators of this film kept the campy look of the original Star Wars films in mind when they designed the Spaceball uniforms, so cheap and thrown-together will actually look more authentic.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Spaceball Technician:
- White pair of overalls
- White cycling, construction or hockey helmet without a face guard
- Black belt (preferable with a large, round silver buckle)
- Tin foil (if you need to construct a buckle)
- White tape (optional)
- Spaceball Officer:
- Black tights or leotards
- Black, long-sleeved shirt
- Large grey garbage bag
- Black belt
- Black visor
- Black gloves
- Black tape
- For both:
- Tin foil
Put on the white overalls first. These form the basis of the Spaceball technician uniform. If your black belt already has a big silver buckle, skip to Step 3.
Use the scissors to cut an oval out of the tin foil for your belt buckle. Make the oval slightly bigger than the palm of your hand.
Use the white tape to cover any writing or markings that might be on the white helmet. Try to make the helmet's colour as uniform as possible.
Start by constructing your vest. Cut a circular hole at the closed end to form the collar. Then shorten the bag by cutting an even strip from the open end. Save these pieces for later.
Put your black shirt and leggings or leotards on. Put the garbage bag over your head and ensure that it hangs "stadium style," or just a few inches short of your knees. Use a few pieces of black tape to make outlines for breast pockets. Cut out small bits of tin foil to use as buttons.
Use the scrap pieces of the garbage bag to construct your officer's cap. Tape the circular scrap piece to to the visor to form a complete hat. Use a small bit of tin foil to make an emblem for the front.
Secure the garbage bag "vest" by using the black belt. The black gloves complete this costume.
Tips and warnings
- Costumes for certain more memorable Spaceball characters are also fairly easy to construct. They simply require certain accessories to complete that might be more complicated. Dark Helmet's headgear, for example. President Skroob, on the other hand, is as simple as a pinstriped, long-tailed suit and a curled moustache. Keep it as cheesy as possible, and don't forget to exude a generous mix of stupidity, ineptitude and arrogance. Then you're really a Spaceball.
- Exercise caution when putting on your vest. Cut the collar out before slipping the garbage bag over your head. Also look out for jammed radar, flying Winnebagos, and estranged Druish princesses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for