Making your own noise suppressor isn't difficult and can make your shooting experience much safer over the long term. Given that repeated exposure to the noise generated by gunshots can damage your hearing, the relatively small investment of time and energy in crafting your own noise suppressor may be well worth it. With the right materials and a little know-how, anyone can create a noise suppressor.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- PVC pipe or Roman candle casing
- Duct tape
Construct a hollow tube. Both a Roman candle casing or PVC pipe will serve as effective materials for this purpose. Attach a washer to both ends of the pipe. Note: Under no circumstances should you use metal tubing for your silencer. Should anything go wrong, metal tubing can explode, creating dangerous shrapnel.
Cut washer-like baffles out of cardboard. Cut holes in the centre of the baffles with a diameter slightly larger than the bullet calibre of your gun.
Space the baffles between 3/8" and 1/2" apart inside of your PVC or Roman candle tube, using superglue to hold them firmly to the tube's body. Make sure you have left at least 1/2" to 1" of baffle-free space on one side of the noise suppressor to ensure you can slide it onto your gun's barrel.
Cut a channel for the gun's front sight with a razor and slide the suppressor onto the gun's barrel. Make sure it fits snugly. If not, then wrap duct tape around the barrel until it's wide enough in diameter to provide a snug fit.
Tips and warnings
- It is extremely important to understand the legality of noise suppressors in your state. The possession and use of noise suppressors is only legal in 38 states. Without proper licensing, the manufacture of suppressors is illegal nationally. Thus, if you intend to make more than one suppressor for personal use or are unsure of the legality of suppressors in your state, it is vital that you look into the laws surrounding your particular circumstance. Also, even in states where homemade silencers are legal, there is a £130 tax associated with their proper registration.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for