Moccasins are appropriate to wear with casual clothes or for lounging around the house. Many moccasins do not come with a formed-bottom sole; these are meant to be worn only as house shoes. Knowing when and where to use this type of foot apparel will help keep the material in excellent condition. Moccasins are typically made of five different types of material--suede, cowhide, sheepskin, deerskin and moose hide.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Waterproofing spray or cream for leather
- Leather conditioner
- Cotton socks
Wear your moccasins with blue jeans, sweat pants, khakis or other casual clothing. Make sure you will not be walking through muddy or rocky terrain. Moccasins with built-in soles are usually thin and quite flexible, so they're not the best choice for rocky areas. Keep the leather clean to ensure its durability.
Place the moccasins on your feet when you are lounging at home and don't require the padding and support of an athletic shoe or the aesthetics of a dressier shoe.
Slip the moccasins on when you attend a casual occasion such as an outdoor barbecue, a movie or other informal gathering. Watch the weather and avoid wearing the shoes when rain is forecast. Most types of leather last longer if kept dry and clean. If the moccasins get wet, dry them as soon as possible with a soft cloth.
Wear cotton socks with your moccasins to help keep the leather dry and your feet and shoes odour-free. Another idea is to use foot powder on a regular basis.
Tips and warnings
- Waterproof your moccasins with a weatherproofing cream or spray that is available at most shoe and discount stores. This is especially important if they are one of your favourite pairs of shoes and you wear them often.
- Clean the moccasins with the appropriate cleaner for the material. Shoe cleaning creams are available at shoe and discount stores.
- Rub your leather moccasins with a leather conditioner three or four times a year to keep them supple and moisturised. This allows the leather to age well and last for many seasons.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for