An appliance dolly is used to move heavy appliances. The weight of awkward and bulky appliances is distributed to the wheels of the dolly, making it easier to move the appliance from one location to the next. Dollies are used by professional moving companies to load appliances and furniture onto moving trailers and vans. Straps attached to the dolly are also used to secure the appliance in place. The wheels on the dolly make moving the appliances up and down stairs easier.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Packing tape
- Securement strap
- Lifting assistants and spotters
- Loading ramps
Pull the appliance away from the wall and unplug it.
Turn the appliance so that the heaviest side is facing the dolly.
Measure the width of the appliance to find the centre point. Position the dolly so that its centre is in the middle of the appliance's centre with the lift plate of the dolly facing the appliance.
Unwrap the securement strap from around the dolly and hold it in your left hand.
Ask someone to tilt the appliance up off the floor 1 to 3 inches away from the dolly. Slide the dolly lift plate beneath the appliance until the upright face of the dolly is flush with the back face of the appliance.
Lift the electric cord of the appliance and tape it to the appliance by wrapping a piece of packing tape all the way around the appliance with the cord inside the tape.
Wrap the securement strap around the appliance and bring it back to itself. Thread the loose end of the strap through both rings, then loop it back under the first ring and cinch the strap tight so the appliance is bound tight to the dolly.
Stand behind the dolly and put your right foot on the wheel axle. Step back a foot or two with your left foot.
Ask the helper to push back on the appliance while you pull back on the dolly handle to cradle the weight of the appliance on the lift plate of the dolly.
Travel backward with the dolly to go up stairs or ramps. Have a helper push and lift while you pull and steer the wheels of the dolly in the right direction.
Move the appliance to where you want it and then slowly tilt the dolly forward until the appliance rests squarely on the floor. Undo the strap. Tilt the appliance up to remove its weight from the lift plate and slide the dolly out from beneath it. Rewrap the strap around the dolly.
Tips and warnings
- Many hands make light work. The more help you can get from neighbours and friends to move the big stuff, the better your back is going to feel at the end of the day.
- Have more than one person help move appliances down stairwells to keep the dolly from getting away from you.
- Heavy appliances can cause injury or damage if mishandled on the dolly.
- Always follow dolly manufacturer's instructions.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for