A hacking cough can come as a result of a cold, a flu or allergies. Whatever the source of your cough may be, soothing it can make the difference between staying awake all night or sleeping and maintaining some level of comfort during the day. While most coughs will go away by themselves or with the help of antibiotics, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for this to happen. Providing yourself with some relief helps make it easier to deal with the cough.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Microwaveable mug
- Halved lemon
- Shower or bathtub
- Cough lozenges
Run a vaporiser in your bedroom at night. Place three drops of eucalyptus essential oil in the water. The mentholated aroma will drift through the air while you sleep and help to relieve the congestion that causes your cough.
Mix 2 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of lemon juice in a bowl to make your own cough syrup. Stir the two ingredients together, then consume the mixture with a spoon.
Heat 177ml of water in a microwaveable mug. Squeeze a halved lemon into the heated water. Drink the lemon water to relieve your hacking cough and soothe your throat.
Run the hot water in your shower or bathtub. Close the door to keep the moist heat in the bathroom. Sit amongst the steam for 10 to 20 minutes to relieve the chest and nasal congestion that contribute to your cough.
Carry cough lozenges with you when you're away from home. Suck on a lozenge when you feel a tickle in your throat or when you are having difficulty stopping your cough.
Tips and warnings
- Drink decaffeinated liquids, such as water and herbal tea, to help thin the mucus in your throat.
- Peppermint and liquorice root are two other herbs that help to treat and relieve cough and cold symptoms.
- Stay away from cigarette smoke, as it will only exacerbate your cough.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for