Originally designed for commercial kitchens, convection ovens are being used in domestic kitchens in greater numbers. The fans in a convection oven circulate the heated air around the food, so convection ovens cook food faster and more evenly than conventional ovens. Convection ovens work best with food on baking trays or in shallow pans. Lasagne is a casserole dish which consists mainly of alternate layers of pasta, cheese and sauce, and reheats perfectly in convection ovens. With care, lasagne, whether leftover or bought precooked, can be reheated to creamy perfection.
Things you need
Shallow baking pan (optional)
59 ml (1/4 cup) milk
Preheat the convection oven to 176 degrees C (350 degrees F).
Place the lasagne in a shallow baking pan if not already in one. Make shallow cuts in the surface of the lasagne with a knife. Pour 59 ml (1/4 cup) of milk over the lasagne. Cover the baking pan with foil and seal tightly. Place the pan in the oven.
Heat the lasagne for twenty minutes then remove it from the convection oven. Lift the foil cover to allow steam to escape, being careful to lift away from you to avoid a burn. Check the internal temperature of the lasagne. If the temperature is below 60 degrees C (140 degrees F), reseal the foil tightly and put the lasagne back in the oven. Check every five minutes until its internal temperature is 60 degrees C (140 degrees F) or slightly higher. When it's done, turn off the oven and serve the lasagne.
- If time is a factor, cut the lasagne into individual portions and separate them in the dish. However, be aware the portions may lose their shape.
- If thawing a frozen lasagne to be reheated, thaw it in a refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth, which can occur above 5 degrees C (41 degrees F). Although the fan in a convection oven should cut out when the door is opened, be careful of a possible burst of heated air when you first open the oven door.
Tips and Warnings
- If thawing a frozen lasagne to be reheated, thaw it in a refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth, which can occur above 5 degrees C (41 degrees F).
- Although the fan in a convection oven should cut out when the door is opened, be careful of a possible burst of heated air when you first open the oven door.
Things you need
- Convection oven
- Precooked lasagne
- Shallow baking pan (optional)
- Small knife
- 59 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- Food thermometer