How to Cook Frozen Apple Pie
piece of golden apple pie image by kubais from Fotolia.com
Warm apple pie is a delicious, classic dessert. Better still, warm apple pie that you didn't just spend an hour preparing is even more delicious.
Pies, and particularly fruit pies, freeze well for later use, making it convenient to pull a frozen pie out of the freezer for a simple dessert, unplanned guests or a quick hostess gift. And it's quite easy to cook a frozen apple pie if you follow a few simple steps.
Preheat the oven to 204 degrees C.
Line the baking tray with aluminium foil.
Remove the pie from the freezer and unwrap its covering if the pie is homemade. If you purchased a frozen apple pie from the grocery store, take it out of the box and remove its wrapper.
- Warm apple pie is a delicious, classic dessert.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and unwrap its covering if the pie is homemade.
Leave the pie in its pan and use the pastry brush to brush cream on top of the pie crust, which will give the pie a golden colour. Sprinkle the top with sugar and then centre the pie on the baking tray to catch any spills from the bubbly fruit filling.
Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Watch the pie carefully for the last 10 minutes of cooking, and if the crust begins to brown too rapidly, reduce the oven to 190 degrees C and lay a sheet of foil over the top. If the pie was not pre-baked, reduce the oven to 176 degrees C, cut three or four slits in the top crust and then bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Leave the pie in its pan and use the pastry brush to brush cream on top of the pie crust, which will give the pie a golden colour.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the baking tray carefully with the oven gloves. Carefully lift the pie from the baking tray and place it on a trivet or wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
- You can make your own homemade pie and freeze it unbaked or baked to be cooked at a later time.
- To bake a frozen pie that has thawed in the refrigerator, simply reduce the cooking time by half.
- Frozen pies should be used within six months.
Kristie Brown is a publisher, writer and editor. She has contributed to magazines, textbooks and online publications. Brown holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Texas at Austin.