Jelly beans make a yummy snack and taste even better when they come from an eye-catching, handcrafted dispenser. Dispensers created from sturdy cardboard containers are easy to make and can be decorated by children of all ages. Jelly bean dispensers also make wonderful gifts and can be customised for all occasions by choosing holiday-appropriate decorations. Think of the dispenser door as being a mouth, and let that be your guide to making candy-dispensing jack-o-lanterns, turkeys, snowmen, Easter bunnies and whatever else you can imagine.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 sturdy round cardboard canister with cover
- 6 sheets of art tissue paper
- Découpage medium, or watered-down white glue (3 tablespoons glue to 1 tablespoon water)
- Sponge applicator
- Small rubber band
- 3 brad paper fasteners
- Craft knife
- Self-sticking foam
Cut the tissue into 1 to 1 ½-inch wide strips and as long as the canister.
Coat the canister and lid with découpage medium or watered-down glue. Then cover the canister and lid with strips of tissue paper.
Coat the tissue-paper covered canister and lid with a thin layer of découpage medium and allow to dry overnight.
Cut a flap 2½-inches high by 3-inches wide, about 2 inches above the bottom of the container to form the door/mouth where the candy will be dispensed.
Insert one brad paper fastener to the top centre of the flap and the other fastener to the canister centred just above the flap.
Wrap the mini rubber band around the two fasteners to hold the flap closed.
Cut eyes, a nose, a mouth and any other features out of the self-sticking foam and glue these to the canister.
Tips and warnings
- When applying tissue paper to the canister, use darker colours first to conceal any writing on the canister.
- Other materials, such as felt, may be used to add unique decorations to your candy dispenser.
- The dispenser may be filled with a variety of candy, not limited to jelly beans.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for