Protecting your computer from the many threats poised by unwanted hackers and identity thieves can be daunting. Spyware, Trojans and viruses are some of the threats computer users face. Most, if not all computer threats, come under the umbrella name of malware. Luckily, malware can and should be eliminated by effective antivirus software. There is no need to purchase dozens of different programs to protect your computer.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Research software that includes protection from spyware, viruses, adware, Trojans, keyloggers, worms and hijackers. Popular software includes Norton, Malware Bytes, Spyware Doctor and VIPRE by Sunbelt Software. The most protection comes at a price. Free options are often available, but they will generally only search out a select few threats.
Purchase software online and download it to your computer or purchase the software in-store and insert the disc into your computer.
Install the software and run a scan. The softwares differ somewhat but all will search your entire hard drive for malware. When you run the software for the first time, you will probably need to make decisions as to the frequency of scans. If you are unsure what frequency is best for you, usually the product will make a recommendation.
Tips and warnings
- The names used to sell the software may be misleading. Most worthwhile anti-spyware and antivirus software will eliminate more threats than what the title suggests, so make sure to read through everything that is covered by the software.
- While free software may fit better in your budget, it will leave you less protected than the paid software.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for