Individuals who travel frequently may decide to obtain a duplicate passport. Some countries require that you submit your passport to their embassy or consulate while they prepare your visa. If you have plans to travel to other foreign countries during that time, you will need a duplicate passport to enable you to enter and leave the United States, as well as to cross other borders. In certain situations the United States government will issue a duplicate passport.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- State Department DS-82 Form
- 2 copies of passport pictures
- 200% enlarge copy of your driving licence
- current passport
Download Form DS-82 from the United States Department of State's website (see resources). The DS-82 serves as the basic application form for all applicants who wish to obtain a U.S. passport. Fill in the application form, providing name, Social Security number, address, emergency contacts, place of birth and upcoming travel plans. Use a black ink pen to fill in the form.
Date and sign Form DS-82 on page 1 of the application.
Write a letter that explains why you need a duplicate passport. Write it concisely and with clear details of why you wish to apply for a duplicate passport. Include specific examples of upcoming travel plans, where you will need a duplicate passport, or describe situations in the past where a duplicate passport would have proven useful.
Bring Form DS-82, your current passport, passport application fees ($170 as of 2010), two passport photos, 200% photocopy of your current driving licence and your letter explaining why you want a duplicate passport to your local Passport Application Acceptance Facility (see resources) or send the materials to the mailing address of the local Passport Application Acceptance Facility.
Expect an answer regarding approval for the duplicate passport within four to six weeks of submission.
Tips and warnings
- Check the status of your passport application online (see resources) or by calling the central Passport Application Office at 1-877-487-2778.
- If you send it by mail, use a traceable mailing service and send the materials in a padded envelope.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for