Children often act out their own little classrooms with dolls, siblings or friends during playtime. Children learn through imaginative play sessions like this and develop creativity. A play schoolhouse is a toy that would get a lot of use by children that like this type of play. You do not need to spend any extra money to make a schoolhouse for your kids to play with; you can create one with a cardboard box and a few other supplies.
Things you need
Large cardboard box (appliance sized)
Inexpensive personal chalkboard
Hot glue gun
Open the flaps on one end of the cardboard box.
Lean two opposite flaps together to form the peak of a roof. Secure them together with a strip of masking tape along the top edges.
Press one of the remaining flaps upward toward the roof, and trace the outline of the triangular side of the roof on the flap with a pencil.
Cut along the lines to remove the extra cardboard and tape the flap in place. Do this on the other side as well to close the roof in on both sides.
Draw a door on one side of the box from the bottom to about a foot from the roof. Cut the door out on three sides but leave the left line uncut.
Pull the door open, and make a crease along the uncut left line. This is the hinge for your door.
Draw a small square window on one side of the box, and cut it out with your utility knife.
Paint your schoolhouse with latex paint. Use brown paint to paint the roof and door. Use brick red (or any colour you like) to paint the outside walls.
Set your glue gun to high heat, and allow it to heat up.
Apply a few beads of hot glue to the back of the chalkboard around the edges, and press it to one of the inside walls of your schoolhouse.
- Use caution when working with utility knives and hot glue guns. Do not leave them where children can reach them. Only allow children to play in the schoolhouse on flat ground-level surfaces.
Tips and Warnings
- Use caution when working with utility knives and hot glue guns. Do not leave them where children can reach them.
- Only allow children to play in the schoolhouse on flat ground-level surfaces.
Things you need
- Large cardboard box (appliance sized)
- Masking tape
- Utility knife
- Latex paint
- Paint brushes
- Inexpensive personal chalkboard
- Hot glue gun