Over time, invalid registry entries, including file associations, accumulate and slow down your computer. These entries occur as files are moved, deleted, created and modified; uninstallers can leave program traces in the registry. It is too tedious and dangerous to manually go through the registry to pick out invalid entries; a registry cleaner program is the best way to fix invalid file extensions and associations. These utilities balance effectiveness with safety and also delete temporary files.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Registry cleaning utility
Go to ccleaner.com, click "Download" and select the site you want to download from (Pyriform).
Activate the installer (ccsetup---.exe, where "---" is the version number) and follow the instructions.
Select the language and click "Next"; read the End-User License Agreement (EULA), click "I Agree," then click "Next." Select "Next" on the install folder; select the install options you want (the Yahoo! Toolbar is optional); click "Install."
Check the "Run CCleaner" box, and click "Finish." CCleaner will activate. Select "Options" in CCleaner; click on "Settings" and check the desired options.
Select "Advanced" and check "Hide Warning Messages"; check the desired options. Check all boxes under the "Windows" tab except for "Custom Files and Folders" and "Wipe Free Space."
Check all boxes under the "Applications" tab. Click "Run Cleaner." This may take one or two minutes. Click "Registry" on the left side; check all boxes (including "Unused File Extensions").
Click "Scan for Issues"; when CCleaner finishes, select "Fix all Issues." Close CCleaner.
Follow the installer instructions; click "Next," read the EULA, select "I accept" and click "Next." Click "Next" on the install options; click "Next" on the Install folder options; click "Install."
Check the "Launch Auslogics Registry Cleaner," then click "Finish." Registry Cleaner will activate.
Select "Quick Scan." When the scan completes, select "View Detailed Results" to see what has been detected. Click on "Fix." When finished, close Registry Cleaner.
Auslogics Registry Cleaner
Go to glaryutilities.com, navigate to Glary Utilities Free and select "Download Now."
Activate the installer (gusetup.exe) and follow the instructions. Select the languages and click "Next"; read the EULA, check "I Accept..." and click "Next."
Uncheck the "Ask Toolbar" options (the Ask Toolbar is optional). Click on "Next," then "Next," click on desired options, then click "Next" again. Click "Install."
Restart your computer if prompted to do so. Launch "Glary Utilities," click on "Cleanup and Repair," then "Registry Cleaner."
Check all boxes, including "File Associations" and "File Extensions." Click "Scan Registry for Problems. Click "Repair Registry." Close Glary Utilities.
Glary Utilities Free
Tips and warnings
- CCleaner is voted the best cleanup utility by the users of Techsupport Alert website.
- Auslogics Registry Cleaner has two modes: "Quick Scan" and "Advanced". Quick scan looks for 12 registry areas, including invalid file extensions and associations. The advanced mode looks at 4 additional registry areas. Auslogics Registry Cleaner backs up the registry before activating.
- Glary Utilities has advanced features including temporary file deletion and a duplicate file finder--use these modules with caution, as misuse can cause instability issues.
- Manually editing the registry is dangerous, even for experienced technicians. Improperly editing the registry can cause system instability or render the computer unbootable.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for