Casio watches are known for their sporty designs, accurate timekeeping and durable construction. One frequent complaint made by many new Casio watch owners is that their watch band is much too large. Believe it or not, extra links in your watch band are actually a good thing. With the right tools and a little effort, you can take out the excess watch links in your Casio metal band to make your watch fit like a glove.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Soft cloth or felt square
- Watch pin removal tool
- 1-mm watch or optical flathead screwdriver
- Needle-nose watch or jewellery pliers
Choose a clean, flat workspace where you can adjust your Casio metal watch band. Cover the workspace with a soft cloth or piece of felt. This will help protect the surface of your watch face from scuffs or scratches.
Orient your watch so that the "Casio" at the top of the watch face is to the left. Place your watch face down on the prepared workstation. Look at the watch clasp on the left side of your watch band. Locate the small metal pin that secures the left watch clasp; use a watch pin removal tool to push out the pin and free the clasp. Set the watch clasp and pin aside until you are ready to replace them.
Count the number of watch links with an arrow on the back; these are the links that can be removed to shorten your Casio watch band. The watch links are held together by metal retaining clips at the centre of each link. Note the tiny pin points at the top of the links with the arrows.
Use one hand to hold the watch band securely to your workstation while you apply pressure to the link pin points with your other hand. Apply pressure to the pin points in the direction the arrows indicate using a 1-mm watch or optical flathead screwdriver. The retaining clips can only be pushed out so far with your screwdriver; you will have to free the clips the rest of the way with the help of a pair of needle-nose watch or jewellery pliers.
Repeat Step 4 until you have removed the desired number of links from your metal Casio watch band. Save the links and retaining clips removed from your watch. Reserved watch band components can be used in the future to expand your watch band or replace links that are damaged.
Line up the watch clasp with the last link on the shortened side of the watch band. Replace the link pin that you removed in Step 2. Push in the link pin with your watch or optical flathead screwdriver. If you have trouble pushing the pin all the way back in, tap the end of the pin with a small jewellery mallet.
Tips and warnings
- Set up a bright lamp near where you will be performing your watch repairs. The extra light will help better illuminate the minuscule components used in your Casio watch.
- Casio always recommends that wearers have their watch bands sized by an authorised Casio watch dealer or reputable jeweller. If you choose to self-size your watch band, you may be voiding the manufacturer's warranty on your timepiece.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for