If you need a creative way to make a card box for an event, then design your own with a milk carton. Milk cartons are sturdy enough to support cards and allow you to customise the carton to suit your tastes. After you remove the top from the milk carton box, you can begin decorating it to designate a place for your greeting and gift cards. Milk carton card boxes also make great craft projects for younger kids to design their own boxes for holiday events.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1 milk carton, ½ gallon- to 1 gallon-sized
- Paper towels
- Sharp knife
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
Rinse out the inside of the milk carton box. Use paper towels to dry the interior and exterior of the milk carton box.
Use a sharp knife to cut the top off the box. Make the cut 2 inches from the top of the box and cut all the way around to remove the top.
Lay the milk carton box down on construction paper. Choose a colour that matches the occasion such as red for Valentine’s Day or white for a wedding.
Trace the sides of the milk carton onto the construction paper. Use a pencil in case you make a mistake while tracing.
Cut out all the traced sides. Use a glue stick to apply the construction paper carefully to each side. Allow the glue to dry before continuing.
Add embellishments to the milk box. You will need to decide if you want the box to stand horizontally or vertically. Decorate the box with glitter, paint or photographs. You may need to distinguish the box for cards by writing “Card Box” on the outside.
Tips and warnings
- You can make more than one card box if you think it will fill up fast. Glue the sides of the boxes together with craft glue.
- Make the gift card box look like a mailbox. Cut out a long rectangle with red construction paper and glue it onto the milk box vertically. This is a subtle way of letting people know the purpose of the box.
- Paint the outside of the box with acrylic paint. Allow each side to dry before painting the next side. You may need to paint two to three coats to keep the milk carton print from showing through the paint.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for