Losing anything of importance can be a very frustrating and annoying incident. If you have lost your phone or it has been stolen, you have probably wished there was a tracking device on it to retrieve it instead of going through the hassle to replace it. Apple has an application that allows you to remotely locate your missing iPhone using its built-in GPS navigation system.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- MobileMe subscription
- Find My iPhone application
Download the free Find My iPhone application in the iTunes App Store and add it to your iPhone. If you lose your iPhone before you installed the app, you can add the app to any other iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to find your missing iPhone.
Sign in to your MobileMe account with your username and password on me.com/find once you have discovered your iPhone is missing. Once you are logged in, your iPhone's location will be shown on the screen using Google Maps.
Click on the iPhone on the map to use its many functions. You can have it display a message on your iPhone even if it's locked, or you can play a sound from the phone for 2 minutes.
Protect the privacy of your phone from its finder by remotely locking the iPhone. This will keep the finder from being able to browse through your iPhone.
Tips and warnings
- Playing the sound from the iPhone is also a useful way of finding it if it's just lost around your house.
- Apple's MobileMe service costs about £64 for one year.
- If you're concerned you will never find your phone, there is an action button to permanently erase all the data from your phone.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for