The arrival of a new baby brings with it necessary chores and enjoyable nesting opportunities. As you prepare the nursery for your baby, special care should be given to the focal point of the room: The baby crib. Preparing the crib for the crib bedding is a way for a new parent to check for safety and lavish love and attention on the place your baby will sleep.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Crib & mattress
- Damp cloth & liquid dish detergent
- Dust ruffle
- Mattress cover
- Puddle pad
- Crib sheet
- Bumper pads
- Quilt or blanket
Lower the crib side. Check to see that the steel crib frame (where the mattress rests) is in the proper position for the new baby. The highest notches are for newborns. The lowest notches are for babies who can pull up and stand.
Wipe the mattress with a wet cloth containing liquid dish washing detergent. Use a clean wet cloth to wipe the soap residue from the mattress. Towel dry. Most mattresses are vinyl-coated.
Place the crib dust ruffle over the steel crib frame. Place the mattress into the crib. Make sure that the mattress is no more than a soda can's distance from the crib rails. Any more room between the mattress and the rails poses a safety hazard for your baby.
Put the mattress cover over the mattress. Mattress covers can fit like a fitted sheet with elastic edges or have a zippered opening.
Lay a puddle pad in the centre of the mattress on top of the mattress cover. Puddle pads give an extra layer of protection between diaper mishaps and the mattress cover and mattress.
Put the fitted crib sheet over the puddle pad, mattress cover and mattress by stretching the elastic edges over the corners of the mattress and snapping them into place beneath the mattress.
Raise the crib side. Tie the bumper pads around the crib railing, two ties to a rail, with the attached ties. Align the bottom edge of the bumper pads with the top edge of the crib mattress.
Place a crib blanket or baby quilt on top of the sheet, or fold and place at the foot of the crib mattress.
Tips and warnings
- One handy nighttime helper is this: Put a fitted crib sheet over the puddle pad on top of the mattress cover. Then, put ANOTHER mattress cover, puddle pad and fitted sheet over the first set. In the middle of the night, you'll only need to peel off the mattress cover with the puddle pad and sheet and toss them in the washer. The crib will be made with clean sheets, leaving you time to attend to cleaning up baby. In a matter of minutes, baby will be dry and you'll be back in bed getting some much-needed sleep.
- When using a second hand crib, always make sure that the crib meets modern safety standards. Antique and vintage cribs, while charming, are often painted with lead-based paint, which is extremely harmful to infants and children.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for