When they hear the name Cleopatra, many immediately think of the queen who ruled Ancient Egypt from 51 to 30BC. An essential part of Cleopatra's iconic look was her bold make-up characterised by dark, dramatic eyes and strong lips. Whether you are dressing up as the Egyptian queen for a costume party or simply want to add some drama to your everyday make-up routine, familiarise yourself with the steps for creating a Cleopatra-inspired make-up look.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Foundation and/or powder
- Medium-dark brown eyebrow pencil
- Blue eye shadow
- Kohl liner or power and applicator
- Eyeliner brush
- Green eye shadow
- Black lengthening mascara or fake eyelashes
- Red lipstick or lip stain
- Red or coral blush
Apply foundation and powder to your face as you usually would. Keep in mind that the Ancient Egyptians believed that fair skin was the most beautiful, so opt for a lighter foundation and power if you usually use darker products that give your skin a tan, bronzed look.
Use a medium-dark brown eyebrow pencil to fill in your brows. Use the pencil marks to manipulate your natural eyebrow shape, making your brows as straight as possible.
Apply a sapphire blue eye shadow from the upper lash line to the crease. Highlight the brow bone with gold shadow. Powder shadow will give a softer look, while cream shadows will create a more concentrated, louder look.
Trace your lower and upper lash lines with a black kohl pencil. Alternatively, apply loose kohl power to the eyes using a stick applicator dipped in water. The thicker and more pronounced the lines are, the better. Use an eyeliner brush to smudge an emerald green eye shadow below the lower lash line. After lining the perimeter of each eye, draw a line of kohl from the outer corner of each eye that extends outwards 1 or 2 inches towards your temples.
Apply several coats of black, lengthening mascara. For a particularly dramatic look, wear false eyelashes as part of your Cleopatra make-up.
Emulate Cleopatra's fiery red lips by applying a coat of red lipstick or stain.
Sweep a red blush onto your cheeks. Choose blush in a shade of red or coral, as opposed to pink.
Tips and warnings
- You may find it difficult to draw a neat, straight line from the outer corner of each eye towards the temple. Ensure a mess-free application by using a piece of tissue folded in half. Place one of the corner of the folded edge against the corner of your eye and line up the other corner with your temple. Use it as your guide, which will collect any excess liner or powder as you draw the line.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for