Homemade cake icing is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. Store-bought icing is convenient, but mixing together your own icing lets you be in control. You can choose how thick or runny to make it, and you can even give it a creative look by using food colour. Black isn't a frosting colour found on many grocery store shelves, but all a black icing recipe takes is few drops of black food colour, you are ready to decorate your cake for Halloween, or some other occasion where you desire a black cake.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring cup
- Icing sugar
- Black food colour
Pour 1 cup of icing sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl.
Mix into the icing sugar 3 tablespoons of milk or cream. Use less milk for thicker icing.
Stir the mixture well. Add more icing sugar if the icing is too runny. Add more milk if the icing is too thick.
Add 3 drops of black food colour to the icing and stir -- this is the key to any black icing recipe.
Add a few drops of vanilla extract in the black icing for flavour.
Black Icing Recipe
Tips and warnings
- Add peppermint or cinnamon to your black icing for a creative taste.
- Be sure to use powdered or confectioner's sugar, not sugar crystals.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for