If you are short on time or short on cash for this year's Halloween costume, don't stress or think you have to cancel your R.S.V.P. It's easy to make your own firefighter costume. It just takes a little time and some materials you should have around the house. One of the best characteristics about the costume is that you can remove the yellow duct tape and reuse the clothing.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Large black shirt
- Yellow duct tape
- Black sweatpants
- Snow boots
- Flag sticker
- Local fire brigade logo
- Firefighter hat
- Stuffed dog
Find a black shirt. A dress shirt that is a size longer works best. If the function is at night, you may want to wear clothes under your costume. Remove the hem at the bottom and around the collar or neck.
Place the flag sticker on the upper left corner of the firefighter shirt.
Using the yellow duct tape, make a new hem with yellow duct tape. The costume looks really great with a few horizontal yellow strips of duct tape at the hem and at the sleeves. You can find pictures of firefighter coats and jackets online to pattern the tape after (see Resources).
Continue the stripe pattern on the sweatpants with the duct tape. It helps to put the costume on someone to make sure the lines are continuous.
Cover snow boots with yellow duct tape. If the snow boots are black, just cover the top of the boots with yellow duct tape.
Find or download a local fire brigade logo and print it. You can also choose to laminate it. Cut out the fire brigade logo and tape it to the firefighter hat.
Use a stuffed dog to complete the costume. Every firefighter has a dog and this is a great way to accessorise. If you are feeling really creative, you can take an old hose and spray paint it black.
Tips and warnings
- If you are not planning on reusing the shirt, you can purchase an iron-on flag and letters. Place the iron-on flag on the left top corner of the shirt. Iron the letters that form the acronym your fire brigade uses on the back of the shirt, i.e., the New York City Fire Department would be FDNY.
- If you need to get a fire brigade hat, you can tour a fire brigade or visit a Firehouse Subs to get a hat.
- If you are having trouble finding the logo or flag sticker, you can always download them and print them.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for