Making homemade maracas is a simple project for kids. Maracas can be made from just a few household items. Maracas are a fun first musical instrument for a child and can be made by using the following steps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Toilet tissue tube
- Items for decoration
Use a funnel to insert about half a cup of beans into the balloon.
Blow up the balloon, making sure not to swallow the beans, and tie it in a tight knot.
Take the toilet tissue tube and cut a fringe about two inches long in half-inch intervals. Tape the toilet tissue tube to the underside of the balloon. Stuff newspaper into the toilet tissue tube and tape it shut.
Cover the balloon and toilet tissue tube with paper mache. Paper mache can be made with equal parts water and flour. Mix the flour and water together. When the mixture is smooth, dip newspaper strips into the paper mache and cover the balloon and toilet tissue tube. Be sure to let the homemade paper mache maraca dry before continuing.
Embellish the homemade paper mache maraca with paint, stickers, markers, or construction paper.
Tips and warnings
- You have and use patience when helping a child with a craft project.
- Customize the homemade maracas by cutting out shapes from construction paper and coloring them with markers.
- Do not let a small child eat paper mache paste or filler beans.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for