How to do a first holy communion cake
Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
First Communion is a huge step in the Catholic faith. It is the first time a person receives the body and blood of Christ. It is a time to celebrate. Many families plan a party to follow the church service.
If you are throwing a celebratory party and looking for a cake design, use two of the common symbols of the Sacrament, a Bible and a rosary.
Prepare two sheet cakes in 9-by-13-by-2-inch pans. Use your favourite box mixes or make them using a scratch recipe. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- First Communion is a huge step in the Catholic faith.
- Many families plan a party to follow the church service.
Turn the first cake out onto a clean work surface. Place two clean 2-by-14-inch pieces of wood on either side of the cake. The width of the wood is not important. It just needs to be longer than the longs sides of the cake and 2 inches tall. Place the blade of a serrated knife flat on the end of the two boards. With a sawing motion, cut across the top of the cake, keeping the knife blade on both boards as you go. Discard the cut off portion. Repeat the entire step with the second cake.
- Turn the first cake out onto a clean work surface.
- Place the blade of a serrated knife flat on the end of the two boards.
Place the first cake onto a serving platter. The platter can be a paper-covered piece of cardboard, a cutting board or any other serving piece you would like to use. Apply a layer of buttercream frosting over the top of the cake. Place the second cake on top of the first. Apply a layer of buttercream over the top of the top cake and on all four sides of both cakes.
Roll a 1701gr. ball of white fondant to 1/8-inch thick using a rolling pin or fondant sheeter. A sheeter is similar to a pasta roller. You feed the fondant through the sheeter and it rolls it for you.
- Place the first cake onto a serving platter.
- Apply a layer of buttercream over the top of the top cake and on all four sides of both cakes.
Cover the cakes using the rolled fondant. Use a smoothing tool to smooth the fondant onto the top and sides of the cake. Cut away the excess fondant from around the base of the cake.
Use the edge of the fondant sheeter to press lines into the two short sides and one of the long sides of the cake. Place 10 to 15 lines on each side. This will give the look of pages of a book.
Roll a 56.7gr. ball of gold or silver coloured fondant to 1/8-inch thick. Use a 6-inch cross-shaped cookie cutter to cut out a cross shape. Place the cross shape in the centre of the top cake.
- Cover the cakes using the rolled fondant.
- Use the edge of the fondant sheeter to press lines into the two short sides and one of the long sides of the cake.
Roll out an 227gr. ball of black fondant to 1/8-inch thick. Use 1-inch cookie-cutter letters to cut out the letters for the words Holy Bible. Place the letters onto the cake above the cross.
Place a rosary on top of the cake to finish the look.
- If desired, create a rosary out of gum paste instead of using a real one.
- If you cannot find fondant coloured black and gold, use the white fondant and then paint it with edible paints.
- Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images