How to make the best butterscotch chips
Butterscotch chips are an excellent alternative to chocolate chips in many recipes. These tasty morsels may not be as accessible as chocolate chips so here is a way to get the sweet taste of butterscotch in your cookies, cakes, etc. without having to search every store for the butterscotch chips.
Making your own butterscotch chips is easy and economical.
- Butterscotch chips are an excellent alternative to chocolate chips in many recipes.
- These tasty morsels may not be as accessible as chocolate chips so here is a way to get the sweet taste of butterscotch in your cookies, cakes, etc.
Prepare all of the ingredients and let sit to room temperature.
Melt the unsalted butter over low heat in a sauce pan and then stir in the dark brown sugar .
Stir until the mixture is creamy then add vanilla extract and sea salt.
Slowly add heavy whipping cream while continuing to mix the other ingredients.
Pour butterscotch sauce over tempered unsweetened white chocolate and heat until they are blended and melted completely.
Drop the warm butterscotch/white chocolate mixture onto waxed paper is small droplets to make the chips.
Chill the butterscotch chips and store them in an air tight container.
Add the homemade butterscotch chips to cookies, drop them into cake batter or use them as a topping on an icecream sundae.
- Make sure the unsweetened chocolate is completely blended with the butterscotch sauce so that the butterscotch flavour comes through.
- Use unsweetened white chocolate only or you might alter the butterscotch flavour and the chips will not have the authentic butterscotch taste.
- Do not over cook sauce or burn the bottom of the pan.
Milenna Russell has a Bachelor's degree in mass communications from the University of Utah. She has been a freelance writer since 2004 and writes for several web-content sites including Lifetips, Ehow and Associated Content.