Loading ...

How to Register an Irish Number Plate With the DVLA

Updated April 17, 2017

Registering a vehicle that has been imported from Ireland into the United Kingdom is a relatively easy process. The body in charge of registering new vehicles in the UK is called the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency -- the same agency that gives out UK driver's licenses -- and you will need to find the office nearest you in order to make the registration. Once you have registered your vehicle, you will have to have a new number plate made. Cars registered in Northern Ireland do not have to change their registration.

Loading ...
  1. Obtain a VCA certificate. The first step that you need to carry out is to prove that your vehicle is fit for use on British roads. As Ireland is part of the European Union, you can obtain this certificate under the Mutual Recognition scheme. Download the appropriate VCA form for your vehicle from the DVLA website. As well as the vehicle's original European Certificate of Conformity -- which should be included in your car's ownership and registration papers -- the VCA, or Vehicle Certification Authority, requires evidence that appropriate changes have been made to the vehicle. This should take the form of mechanic's receipts or a statement from a garage confirming that the changes have been made. If you haven't already, consult the form as to the changes that need to be made and have them carried out by a qualified mechanic, keeping the receipts. Once the form is completed send it to the VCA at the address indicated and the VCA will issue a certificate stating that the automobile is suitable for use on British roads.

  2. Get British insurance. To register a car permanently in the UK, you need to have adequate insurance coverage in Britain. Your present insurance company may be able to transfer your existing Irish insurance to Britain, otherwise you will need to take out at least a minimum level of insurance (third-party) with a British company.

  3. Register your vehicle. In order to do this, you will need to visit your local DVLA office. There, you will have to fill out the following forms: V55/4 (if the vehicle is new) V55/5 (if the vehicle is used) , the HM Customs form (which can be downloaded from the DVLA website) and (for new vehicles only) form V267. You will also need the automobile's complete documentation, documents proving your name and address (for name confirmation: passport, UK driver's license, marriage or birth certificate, for address: bank statements, utility or tax bills), the VCA certificate, current insurance documentation, and money for the registration fee as of February, 2011 was 24.9 Kilogram and vehicle tax -- to be calculated on the day of registration. If all the documents are in order you should receive your registration in about a week.

  4. Get a new number plate. To order a new number plate you will need to visit a registered number plate supplier; a list can be found on the DVLA website. Take proof of identity and your vehicle registration certificate with you.

Loading ...

About the Author

Carl Mathie began working as a translator, editor and writer in 2004 at two independent literary publishers in London. His work has been published in the "Financial Times" and online at Readysteadybook and Vulpes Libris. He has translated for several important international publishers including Grupo Planeta and Oxygen Books. He has a Bachelor of Arts in comparative American studies from the University of Warwick.

Loading ...