How to Dress Like a Dirty Dancing Star
Jennifer Grey portrayed a dancer in the 1987 movie "Dirty Dancing." Grey was in great shape and her wardrobe showed off her beautifully toned torso, arms and legs. If you want to duplicate her look, almost all the clothes Grey wore in the movie are classic dancer and everyday-clothing styles.
Though these clothing items may be updated they generally retain their basic lines. They can be adapted for an evening out, a day at the office, or for casual time.
Go to a dancers' supply store or shop online. Purchase a pink knee-length chiffon (or other "flowy" fabric) skirt. Optional: purchase a sleeveless pale-pink leotard and a white wrap sweater.
- Jennifer Grey portrayed a dancer in the 1987 movie "Dirty Dancing."
- They can be adapted for an evening out, a day at the office, or for casual time.
Visit a department store or shop online. Purchase the following: pink T-strap high-heeled sandals; a pale-pink spaghetti-strap T-shirt (if you didn't opt for the camisole leotard); a white button-front blouse (if you didn't opt for the wrap sweater), and stretch blue jeans in just-above-the-knee-length (or update this to what is the currently fashionable shorter jeans length).
Assemble your first outfit:
Pair the camisole leotard or spaghetti-strap T-shirt with the pink skirt (chiffon or similar fabric). Note: If the skirt is unlined, purchase a white or pale-pink slip to wear beneath the skirt as a lining. Don the T-strap high-heeled sandals. This lovely feminine outfit is perfect for an evening out or, paired with a white wrap sweater, for the office.
- Visit a department store or shop online.
- Assemble your first outfit: Pair the camisole leotard or spaghetti-strap T-shirt with the pink skirt (chiffon or similar fabric).
Assemble the second outfit:
Pair the white button-front blouse with the stretch blue jeans. Button one or two of the blouse buttons over the bust, then tie the two ends of the blouse-front in a knot centred just below the bust to secure the blouse. In the movie, Grey wore her jeans at a just-above-the-knee length (Bermuda short length). If you can't find this length, consider having a tailor alter a pair of jeans or wear the current version of summer-length jeans. Pair this look with sneakers and you have a cool casual look for weekends.
- When dressing retro, add a coordinated element--bracelet, scarf, or shoes--in the latest style for a chic look.
- Consignment shops are great places to find retro items and unique accessories at a low cost.
- For the white button-front blouse, be sure the fabric is thin enough to make a pleasing knot (not too big or stiff).