How to Remove Car Wax Residue From a Plastic Trim
Car wax can leave a noticeable white cloudy stain on a car's black trim. These marks stand out and can detract from the car's appearance. Fortunately, it is simple to fix, and doesn't take much time, effort or money.
There are numerous simple and handy solutions that can remove these stains with common household products.
Using a soft, clean, dry cloth, rub isopropyl alcohol over the trim until there are no white residue marks remaining.
Rub peanut butter across the trim to remove residual wax reside. The oils in peanuts dissolve car wax. Wipe away any excess peanut butter with a clean, dry cloth.
- Car wax can leave a noticeable white cloudy stain on a car's black trim.
- Using a soft, clean, dry cloth, rub isopropyl alcohol over the trim until there are no white residue marks remaining.
Wipe vinegar over the white stains until all the white waxy residue is gone.
Dampen a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and wipe it across the trim. Use caution with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, if too much pressure is applied and it comes in contact with the car's paint, it can damage the paint.
Apply white toothpaste to an old toothbrush and scrub the trim in a circular motion. Rinse the toothpaste away before it dries.
Scrub the trim with dish soap (Dawn is preferred) and an old toothbrush. Rinse the area well with clean water.
- Wipe vinegar over the white stains until all the white waxy residue is gone.
- Dampen a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and wipe it across the trim.
- Commercial products such as Meguiar's #39 and Goo Gone are also effective.
- Test each method on an inconspicuous area first, to make sure it does not damage the trim or paintwork.
Melynda Sorrels spent 10 years in the military working in different capacities of the medical field, including dental assisting, health services administration, decontamination and urgent medical care. Awarded the National Guardsman’s Medal for Lifesaving efforts in 2002, Sorrels was also a nominee for a Red Cross Award and a certified EMT-B for four years.