Government Grants for Master's Degree Students

Updated April 17, 2017

Whether you're in the military, a student in need of financial assistance for college or someone who simply wants to return to school and get another degree, many government grants are available with funding concentrated in a range of interests.

TEACH Grant Program

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 made money available for the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education, or TEACH, grant program. This source provides up to £2,600 per year for students who want to teach in a public or private low-income K-12 school district. Grant recipients must agree to teach full-time in a high-need field such as math, science or reading. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship, completion of a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), enrolment as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited postsecondary institution that participates in the TEACH program, and must be working toward a degree with coursework that will qualify them to teach the subject. For more information on, and to apply for, a TEACH grant visit the U.S. Department of Education Teach Grant Program website.

Government Aid---FAFSA

While not as many as for undergraduate studies, government grants are available for graduate studies. It all begins with FAFSA, which must be filled out in order to determine what programs you qualify for, and how much money you may receive. The funding source, from the U.S. Department of Education, helps offset costs for students attending an accredited graduate school in the United States. Needs-based, federal financial aid can fill in the gaps between tuition and what is affordable, while minimising the need to borrow. The FAFSA application will also determine your eligibility for private and alternative funding, and student loans from other public and private colleges and universities. More information on grants, the application process and deadlines can be found on the FAFSA website.

Government Aid Through Military Service

Government aid is available for graduate studies through tuition and resources from the Montgomery GI Bill, the Veterans Educational Assistance Program, and the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC). These programs are funded by the Department of Defense in collaboration with the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. The Armed Forces Tuition Assistance Program provides enlistees tuition and related costs for attendance at accredited colleges and universities, including graduate studies. You can find more information on educational benefits on the U.S. Army Education Division website, by contacting your local Army Education Center, or by calling the Education Incentives Counseling Branch or writing them at CDR, USHRC, Attn: TAPC-PDE-EI, 200 Stovall Street, STE 3N17, Alexandria, VA 22332-0472.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Writing since 1984, Susan Deschel just published "Peer Coaching for Adolescent Writers" through Corwin Press, a handbook for teachers. Deschel has a bachelor's degree in creative writing, master's in education, and is currently working on her doctorate in curriculum and instruction. She writes in other genres, including fiction and poetry.