As you use your clothes iron, heat coupled with clothing starch and mineral deposits from water can accumulate on the face of the iron. As these substances heat up, a dark discolouration appears on the plate of the iron. Since this is easily transferred to clothing, it's important to remove the burn marks, then maintain a clean iron for best performance and a long-lasting small appliance.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cooking pan
- 1 tbsp table salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Nylon mesh scrubber
- Baking soda
- Clean cloths
- White vinegar
Heat 1 tbsp table salt and 1 tbsp white vinegar in a cooking pan until the mixture is warm.
Apply the salt and vinegar mixture to a nylon mesh scrubber. Rub the abrasive mixture onto the cooled iron plate to wear away the burn marks. As the scorch marks loosen and lift from the surface, rinse off the nylon mesh scrubber, apply more vinegar and salt solution and continue scrubbing the plate to remove as much of the burn marks as possible.
Treat any remaining burn marks by sprinkling baking soda over the nylon mesh scrubber. Dampen the scrubber with water and wring out the excess. Scrub the iron plate to remove the rest of the burn marks.
Rinse the iron plate by wiping it off with a damp cloth. Wet another clean cloth with white vinegar and squeeze out the excess liquid. Clean the iron plate by wiping it off with the vinegar-dampened cloth. Follow by drying the iron with another cloth.
Tips and warnings
- Clean your iron on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to prevent scorch marks from building up.
- To prevent mineral build-up stains, wash the inside of the iron by filling the water reservoir halfway with white vinegar and halfway with water. Heat the iron and press the steam button to release the vinegar steam. This cleans away lime scale and mineral deposits so the steam feature of your iron works properly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for