A military diorama can be as basic or as detailed as you want it to be. Historians and diorama buffs often depict historic battles with their dioramas. You can create your own military diorama with some basic art supplies and an idea of what type of scene you would like to create. This craft can also be done with kids.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Box (shoe boxes work well)
- Coloured paper
- Cotton balls
- White glue
- Branches or models of trees
- Figurines (soldiers)
- String, thread or fishing line
Paper the outside of the box with coloured paper to hide labels and wording on the box. Look for plain construction paper or wrapping paper with military designs like camouflage, helicopters, or tanks.
Paint the inside of the box with your chosen scene. A hilly setting against a blue sky, a stark desert scene with land, and sky or a jungle scene are all ideal options. Let the paint dry completely before proceeding.
Embellish the painted scene further by adding texture to bring the diorama to life. Dip stretched cotton balls in white glue and affix them to the sky. Paint a thin layer of glue over the desert and sprinkle an even layer of sand across the bottom of the box. Insert trees into the scene for the jungle or use a single piece of twisted driftwood for the desert.
Add the figurines into the diorama. For a military aeroplane, tie a length of string around the plane and poke a hole through the top of the box. Thread the string through the hole in the box and tape the string in place. Add tanks, Jeeps, and other military vehicles to the scene along with soldiers of different shapes and sizes.
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with the design of your diorama and try specific scenes such as a military obstacle course with nets and climbing apparatus. Or, cut up old maps and decorate the inside of the box with maps, instead of the painted sky, to depict where the army is deployed. Glue figures in place or leave them loose if you are crafting with kids as they will want to enact different scenes.
- Military dioramas can be made from a wide range of materials. If this is to be a model diorama be sure to place it somewhere youngsters will not to. Or, build one together, modifying the design to please all parties.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for