Cream of Wheat has been a staple in the American breakfast scene since the late 1800s. This enriched wheat cereal is known for its smooth, creamy texture and well as the lumps you wind up with if you don't know how to prepare it properly. Adding sweetener or additional ingredients can turn even the biggest Cream of Wheat hater into a fan.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Small pot
- 1 1/4 cups water or milk
- 3 tbsp. Cream of Wheat
- Mix-in ingredients (optional)
Pour the water into a small pot and bring to a boil. Use milk if you prefer your Cream of Wheat to taste richer.
Slowly pour in the Cream of Wheat while constantly stirring with a wire whisk. Whisking constantly and pouring the cereal in very slowly is essential to making the Cream of Wheat smooth and avoid lumps.
Allow the mixture to return to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and allow it to thicken for 2 1/2 minutes for the original Cream of Wheat. Refer to the package directions if you are using a quicker cooking or instant version of Cream of Wheat.
Stir in a sweetener of your choice, 1 tbsp at a time. You may use plain sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract or an artificial sweetener. Stir and taste before adding more so that you don't oversweeten.
Stir in milk to your desired consistency. Even if you made the Cream of Wheat with milk you can add more milk, if desired, to further enhance the taste and thin the Cream of Wheat if it is a little too thick.
Add 1 tbsp of butter to Cream of Wheat. This optional addition adds a lot of flavour for those who enjoy full flavour.
Stir in a 1/2 cup of fruit if you prefer. Stir your favourite sliced or chopped fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, bananas, or raspberries into your Cream of Wheat for both flavour and nutrition.
Stir in 1/4 cup of your favourite nuts or granola if you enjoy a more nutty flavour including almonds, pecans, and walnuts. Avoid adding salted nuts which will make the Cream of Wheat salty.
Stir in 1/4 cup chocolate chips for a chocolate twist on Cream of Wheat. Use your favourite type of chocolate. You could also stir in peanut butter or butterscotch chips if you prefer those flavours.
Stir in savoury additions such as bacon bits, salt and pepper and shredded cheese -- ideal for those who enjoy savoury hot cereals such as grits.
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with the amount of the chosen mix-in that you add so that you don't end up overpowering the Cream of Wheat. Always start with less and taste before adding more.
- Never add more Cream of Wheat than the directions call for unless you also increase the amount of liquid you use. Too much Cream of Wheat will result in lumps of clumped cereal.
- Boiling milk will rise and spill over the pot if you don't watch closely and stir constantly. Remove from the heat if necessary when stirring in Cream of Wheat.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for