Ingenious craft ideas can come from things that you have around the house. You can make a range of people and animal shapes out of clay pots, including a toy soldier to use as a decoration during the holidays. You can use any size of clay pots depending on the size of the soldier you plan to create. For example, you can make a massive toy soldier out of large clay pots or a small one out of petite pots.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 4 clay pots, all same size
- 1 clay pot slightly larger
- Red spray paint
- Blue spray paint
- Black spray paint
- Craft glue
- Red pom
- Measuring tape
- Gold cord
- Tongue depressors
- Black ribbon
- Gold button
- Plastic eyes
- Buttons, beads, cord, toothpick
Spray paint one pot bright red. Spray paint two other identical pots bright blue and spray paint the larger pot black. Wrap a paper towel around the outside of the fifth pot, taping it in place and keeping only the rim exposed. Spray paint the rim of this pot black, leaving the rest its natural colour. Allow the pots to dry overnight.
Place one blue pot upside down. Add a generous layer of craft glue to the bottom, which should now be face up. Press the other blue pot on top of it, right side up.
Apply a thin layer of glue to the top of the rim of the blue pot that is now on top. Press the red pot upside down on top of it.
Spread a generous layer of glue to the top of the upside down red pot. Press the bare pot with the black rim right side up on top of the red pot. Place the slightly larger black pot upside down on top of it. Do not glue this pot if you want to use the space as a receptacle for candy or trinkets.
Add a dab of glue to the top of the black pot. Press a red pom-pom onto this dab of glue. Measure the circumference of the rim of the top black pot. Cut a piece of gold cord to this measurement and glue it around the rim of the top black pot.
Glue plastic eyes and a plastic nose and mouth to the appropriate spots on the unpainted clay pot. If you don't have plastic eyes, you can use buttons or beads. A sliver of toothpick can act as a nose. Gluing a piece of cord in a "smile" shape can turn into a mouth. Glue the eyes around 1 inch down from the top of the pot and 1 inch apart from each other. The nose should be between the eyes and about 1/4 inch below them. The mouth should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the nose.
Wrap a piece of black ribbon around the waist of the toy soldier and glue it in place. Glue a gold button to the centre to act as a buckle.
Paint two tongue depressors with red paint and paint the tips white. These will act as arms. Glue one stick to each side of the toy soldier, with the white part facing down.
Tips and warnings
- You will be able to find clay pots and other items to complete your project at garden centres, craft stores and home supply stores.
- Place the pots on old newspaper sheets while spraying to avoid the paint from getting on to nearby items. A large cardboard box from a grocery store makes a convenient booth to spray paint the pots.
- Spray paint the pots in a well ventilated area or outdoors to allow the fumes and smell to disperse easily.
- Handle the pots carefully and work over a table to reduce the chances of breaking a pot should it slip out of your hands.
- Buy an extra pot to avoid another trip to the store in case one breaks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for