Tzatziki is a refreshing Greek appetizer that is a tasty accompaniment with several foods. This cucumber-yoghurt dish can be served on its own as a salad, as a spread over sandwiches and pita bread, or as a dip for grilled meats and vegetables. To prevent tzatziki from being watery you should thicken the yoghurt and sweat the cucumbers to drain out excess water. Using these preparation techniques you will have a delicious thick and creamy tzatziki.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 cups Greek yoghurt
- 2 cucumbers
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 tbsp shredded mint leaves
Strain and thicken the yoghurt using 2 cups of thick Greek yoghurt to prepare the tzatziki. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and set over a bowl. Pour the yoghurt in the strainer and let the liquid whey drain into the bowl. Place in the refrigerator for two hours, or until all the liquid has separated from the yoghurt.
Sweat the cucumbers. Peel and grate two cucumbers. Set the grated cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle 1/4 tsp of salt over them. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour to sweat out the excess liquid. Drain the excess water from the grated cucumbers.
Combine the thickened yoghurt and grated cucumber together in a large bowl. Add 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, one finely chopped garlic clove and 1 tbsp of shredded mint leaves. Mix well and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
Tips and warnings
- Add 1/2 tsp of paprika or red chilli flakes to add a hot flavour to your tzatziki.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Food & Wine; Cool Cucumber-Yogurt Dip (Tzatziki); Nicola Kotsoni; March 1997
- The Observer; Nigel Slater's Classic Tzatziki Recipe; Nigel Slater; May 2010
- BBC; Food Recipes: Tzatziki
- Chicago Sun-Times; Greek Islands Tzatziki; July 2006
- Kalyn's Kitchen; World's Best Tzatziki Sauce Recipe - Greek Yogurt And Cucumber Sauce; August 2009
- Ecomii; Tzatziki; Jeff Cox