Hamburger patties are cooked using a variety of methods, but improper handling of the beef can cause them to fall apart. Hamburgers crumble while they cook for a variety of reasons, such as the quality of the beef, temperature of the meat or even handling the beef too often. When the hamburger patties crumble, it can become difficult to cook them properly. Perfecting the art of creating a hamburger patty that does not fall apart will impress your friends and family members during your next barbecue.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Antibacterial soap
- 80/20 minced meat
Wash your hands and working surfaces with warm water and an antibacterial soap.
Select a course grind of beef that has 20 per cent fat. Leaner minced meat tends to fall apart too much, and a higher percentage of fat will cause the hamburger to shrink considerably after it cooks.
Separate the thawed minced meat into equal-sized portions.
Press the hamburgers into patties that are your desired shape. Place the hamburger into your hands and push the inside of the meat outwards to create a patty slightly larger than the buns. Press the hamburger together tightly, but avoid handling it too much.
Place the patties onto a plate. Allow the hamburgers to become firm in the refrigerator or freezer. Freeze the patties for 10 to 15 minutes, or let them chill for up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Cook the hamburger patties using your desired cooking method. Avoid pressing down on the burgers too hard while they cook, because it causes the juices to drain from the meat, which can cause the burgers to fall apart.
Tips and warnings
- Adding large pieces of vegetables, such as peppers or onions, can cause the hamburgers to fall apart.
- Avoid adding too many liquids to the hamburgers, because this can cause the beef to fall apart.
- Create a small well in the centre of the hamburger with your thumb. This ensures that the burgers remain flat instead of round.
- Handling the beef too much can cause it to crumble due to the warmth from your hands.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for