"The Sims: Deluxe Edition" is a reissue of the life simulation games and expansion packs. Released in 2002, it is a game designed for Windows XP systems, and it comes with compatibility issues if you run Windows Vista or Windows 7. Depending on your computer, you can experience a number of different problems with "The Sims: Deluxe Edition." If your game crashes, freezes or experiences any other sort of problem, you can perform a few troubleshooting steps to narrow down the possible causes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Right-click the desktop icon for "The Sims: Deluxe Edition." Select "Properties" from the right-click menu that appears beside your cursor.
Click the "Compatibility" tab and check the compatibility box. Select "Windows XP Service Pack 2" from the drop-down menu. This is only necessary if you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Click the "Shortcut" tab. Tap the "Right Arrow" key to place the cursor at the end of the shortcut target. Press the spacebar once.
Type "-w" without the quotes and click "OK."
Launch "The Sims: Double Deluxe." The "-w" switch will force the game to run in a window. If the same problems occur, close the game and proceed with step 6. If the problem does not occur, your computer's graphic card is experiencing compatibility issues with the game.
Return to the "Properties" menu. Replace "-w" with "-nosound." Click "OK" and open the game again; it will launch without sound. If the game runs without error, your computer's sound card is experiencing compatibility issues with the game.
Tips and warnings
- If you continue to suffer errors, your computer may not be compatible with the game. Refer to the minimum and recommended system requirements on the back of the box to determine your system's compatibility.
- If you type a switch without separating it from the shortcut with a space, it will not function properly.
- Computers running anything earlier than Windows 95 cannot run "The Sims: Deluxe Edition."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for