Sweet and sour chicken is a favourite at Chinese restaurants and is easy to prepare at home as well. The typical way of preparing sweet and sour chicken is to first deep-fry the chicken in a flour and water batter then combine it with sweet and sour sauce, however all that frying can make the dish a tad oil-laden. If you want the yummy taste of sweet and sour chicken without so many calories, then marinating chicken in sweet and sour sauce and then cooking the dish is a tasty alternative.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 284gr tin of pineapple pieces
- 1/4 cup tinned pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 pound boneless chicken, 1 inch cubes
- Cling film
- Fry pan
- 1 cubed red pepper
- 1 cubed green pepper
- 1 cubed white onion
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Precooked rice
Combine 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup juice from a 284gr tin of pineapple pieces (keep pieces aside for later), 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tbsp brown sugar in a bowl and whisk together until well combined.
Add a pound of boneless, 1-inch chicken cubes to the sweet and sour sauce mixture and mix well so all the chicken pieces are coated. Cover the bowl in cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, or until needed.
Lightly oil a fry pan with about 1 tbsp oil. Heat pan on high, then fry a red pepper that has been cubed, one green pepper and one white onion that has been cubed. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over while frying.
Add the marinated chicken and all the marinade to the fry pan when onion and pepper is just tender. Add the reserved pineapple pieces as well as a tsp of freshly grated ginger. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Serve over precooked rice.
Tips and warnings
- If a thicker sauce is desired, add 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot flour, dissolved in water to the fry pan when you add the marinated chicken. Stir continuously until chicken is cooked to avoid lumps in the sauce.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for